From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: RE: off topic - passive smtp proxy with rewrite capabilities?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 14:45:53 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Brian,

Kind of simplistic, and not likely fun to administer, but I reckon you could place a Linux box running sendmail in front of the Barracuda, forward all mail to domain2 to the barracuda unchanged, and set up an /etc/aliases file that points every user@domain1.dom to the appropriate lastname_firstname@domain2.dom. Not fun to manage, and not high-tech, but I imagine it would work if nothing else does.

Another option would be to add the domain1 username as an alias to the domain2 account, and just forward mail sent to user@domain1.dom to user@domain2.dom using CGP. You could either use a separate box running in front of the Barracuda, or maybe there is a way to write the router rules on your existing CGP box like this:

1.) All mail for domain2.dom received from the Barracuda is delivered.
2.) All mail for user@domain1.dom is forwarded to user@domain2.dom, which is an alias for lastname_firstname@domain2.dom.
3.) All mail for domain2.dom received from anywhere OTHER THAN the Barracuda is forwarded to the Barracuda.

Whether that would work or not is certainly beyond my knowledge level, but if it does, you would not need to install, configure, pay for, or administer another server or server instance.

Tom