From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: RE: Voicemail application does not delete messages - Case[0WZJ0705-421LB]
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:59:30 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On 07/05/2010 1:26 PM, Technical Support wrote:

> That's the point: items marked for deletion are not expunged unless the
> self-service application terminated on an event which can be recognized
> as a definite user input. Call termination per se may happen for many
> reasons and against the user's will who might want to undelete some
> message wrongly marked for deletion.

Logically, that (almost) makes sense. In practice, though, you've made your system behave differently than just about every other system in the world, which will confuse and irritate users. 99% of users and implementers will want the "normal" behavior, so shouldn't that be the default?

> The behavior can be changed easily by modifying PBX file
> readmailbox.sppi code around lines 131-142:
>
> //
> // normal exit (time-out or '#') ->
> // expunge all messages marked as deleted
> //
> if input == "#" or input == null then
>
> Here you can choose to expunge items unconditionally.

Wow, that's probably why we don't use CGP for VOIP. CGP really needs an equivalent to FreePBX so that non-programmers can easily configure it to work. Editing the text files should be strictly optional.

>> Hoping you fix it in the next release of CGP.
>
> I'm afraid we are not going to change the default behavior. It's safer
> to educate user to finish communications with the self-service PBX
> program with hash presses rather than regret of a lost important
> voicemail...

Sometimes following the de-facto standard is the best route to go. Expunge on hangup is the de-facto standard here. Cell phones, home phones, PBXs, you name it, they all expunge on hangup, and always have.