From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: Re: Special characters in email address
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:43:50 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On 08/16/2010 5:42 AM, David Brookfield wrote:
Lyle

Lyle many thanks for this one, sadly I think it s a tad more than this,
I tried sending via OWA from an account I d just created with the set as
reply address having an in it and I get the same problem, unless I m
misunderstanding you that is.

I ve put this question to CGP support as well. Although IMHO in the
short term the fix is easy in that the other side could simply remove
the from the email address, however I m not so sure this will be
possible, the mail admin at the other end isn t proving helpful.

David

David,

I think that Lyle's advice was assuming that you are seeing something like this:

'user@domain.tld

when the sender's address was really just user@domain.tld and the apostrophe was just added by a program like Outlook. If, however, you are seeing something like:

o'reilly@domain.tld

where the apostrophe is an integral part of the address by design, then that is a whole different animal. You mention that the behavior is different on two different CGP installs, are they running different versions?

It might be a good idea to report this to the organization that is sending the e-mail, as they've probably heard of this before, and you might be the trouble report that forces them to remove the apostrophe.