From: Urs Gruetzner <ugruetzner@ems.ch>
Subject: Re: HELO failure
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 07:40:16 +0200
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
(sorry wrong subject in previous mail)
Thanks for explanations

Instead to change the FQDN for the mail server to mail.ems.ch, could it be the easiest solution to change the DNS entry for 212.74.146.1 to ems.ch than mail.ems.ch instead?

Also the MX entry should be ems.ch instead of mail.ems.ch ?

Reason: the forward lookup for ems.ch points already to the correct IP, so there is no need that the reverese lookup is mail.ems.ch. Also when sending a mail from outside to xy@ems.ch the lookup of MX of ems.ch has the correct IP as result. There is no need to use mail.ems.ch.

Thanks for further help

From: Lyle Giese <lyle@lcrcomputer.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:08:57 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

your MX record for ems.ch is mail.ems.ch.

The A record for mail.ems.ch is 212.74.146.1.

And the reverse lookup for 212.74.146.1 is mail.ems.ch.

The HELO from your server is ems.ch, not mail.ems.ch.  ems.ch is your domain.  The host name or FQDN(Fully Qualified Domain Name) for your mail server should be mail.ems.ch.

Ideally in today's world these four items should be identical, but in your case they are not.  However to change the HELO greeting in CommuniGate, you need a different license key as that parameter is linked to the HELO greeting.  And that becomes the primary domain in your mail server(postmaster(used for logging in to the webadmin) and blacklist-admin are linked to the primary domain).

That is one thing I find a fault with in Stalker's recommendations.  The license key/primary domain should be mail.yourdomain.com, not yourdomain.com  That also requires the end users to use their full email address for their login.  That however is a good thing as it makes brute force password attacks harder.  Most of the script kiddies do not use the full email address for their password attacks.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.

Gruetzner Urs wrote:
Suddenly we have a problem with the HELO identification (so far only with one recipient server sbb.ch)

can anyone explain why our host ems.ch is not a fully-qualified hostname?

Urs