From: Wiley Sanders <wsanders@wsanders.net>
Subject: Re: Users are losing the INBOX
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:32:48 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Thanks for all the replies.

> Every time this comes through as a tech call, there is a POP3 connection
in the last 24 hours.

This is actually responsible for about 25% of our "accidental"
deletions too. For these you will see burst of log messages:

11:48:59.41 2 MAILBOX(idiot/INBOX) {112798} deleted: overwrite
11:48:59.41 2 MAILBOX(idiot/INBOX) {112836} deleted: overwrite ...

The same for known accidental deletions. About 25%, though, I can't
find any MAILBOX entries in the log. It's possible that the users
don't give me accurate times - some don't even know + or - several
days when their mail disappeared.

Personally, I read my mail with a least six different IMAP clients,
sometimes two or three at a time, and I never have any problems and
they all stay perfectly in sync. I have MDIR format mailboxes though.

Thanks for the pointers to the conversion scripts. I will give those a
try for the users that come back to me over and over with this problem
and see if MDIR vs MBOX makes a difference. Like I said, I almost
never seem to see this problem with MDIR mailboxes, and they are much
easier to restore.

-W Sanders
 St Marys College of California
 http://wsanders.net