From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: CGP as IM server - questions, suggestions, and info.
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:42:33 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Info:
We use CGP's Instant Message functionality (SIP and XMPP) pretty heavily, and I wanted to provide some info for anyone who doesn't take advantage of this part of CGP's functionality, as well as ask a few questions and request some features if they don't already exist.

As a piece of background, we used Windows Messenger via SIP for IM for years, but we are moving away because it does not work on Vista or newer and because it consistently messes up users' buddy lists, resulting in people not showing online when they are. You can actually log on as a user, remove a corrupted buddy list entry and all of a sudden 20 people are online and available, whereas they were shown as offline until that moment.

More recently, i have been migrating to Ignite Realtime's Spark XMPP client, which works much better, has more features, and does not seem to have the same issues with Buddy Lists, unless someone declines a subscription request.

Question:
Is it possible to remove users' ability to decline someone's subscription request? We're using this for work only, so nobody should have the option to block another user, or to decline their request to add them to their buddy list and see their availability. It would make things a lot easier if I could simply eliminate all of the "Subscription Requests", and have it such that, as soon as UserA added UserB to her buddy list, UserB would have UserA added to his buddy list. No need to approve, no ability to decline, no users showing up as "Pending" forever because they don't sign in very often, etc.

Suggestion/Feature Requests:
1.) If it isn't currently possible to eliminate the roster approval process, could an option to do so be added?
2.) It would be a huge time savings to have a method for new users to have a pre-defined roster assigned to them upon account creation, such that they don't have to add people manually. Windows Messenger had the ability to import contacts from a saved file, but it never worked very well. A bonus would be the ability to add contacts to groups, etc., too.
3.) Spark has an option to "Edit Profile", where you can add a user's name, e-mail address, a picture, etc. This information seems to be stored on the server somewhere. It would be nice to have the user's "Real Name" and e-mail address automatically populated, as doing so makes it such that users display with their name in the roster instead of their e-mail or their username.

Anyhow, many thanks to Stalker for implementing this feature many moons ago, we use it daily and our users love it. If we could resolve lingering roster/buddy list issues and implement the above suggestions, it would be just about perfect.

Does anyone else on the list use this feature?

Many thanks,