From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: Error - 476 connections from your host are denied
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 09:47:37 -0500
To: <cgatepro@communigate.com>
I just tried sending an e-mail from my own desktop using Thunderbird and received this error:

"An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: connections from your host are denied."

and then this one:

"Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server rymes.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator."

I then telnetted to port 25 and got the error message in the subject line: "476 connections from your host are denied".

I'm struggling to figure out why this might be, as I am on the local network, I cannot think of anything that has changed this morning, and all of the addresses I can think of test as OK in the web interface.

This only seems to occur when connecting to our external FQDN from within the LAN, everything works as you would expect when connecting to the internal IP Address. I am also able to connect to the web interface, which is how I managed to send this e-mail.

I'm sure that this is something stupid, but I can't figure it out.

Many thanks,