From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: Re: Open-Relay and other Issues after Upgrade to 5.3.12
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:19:03 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Jan 31, 2011, at 3:47 PM, Tom Rymes wrote:

> Today, I find out that we have been blacklisted on various RBLs because of spam sent out. I looked into it further, and it seems that CGP is configured as an open relay (something were never were before).

OK, figured this out. It looks like the router is sending its own address instead of the outside address for port forwards. Since the local subnet is defined as a client address, the router was allowed to relay. I have since changed the (presumedly default) setting for "Relay to Any Address" under "Settings:Mail:SMTP:Relaying" or relaying from "if received from client IP address" to "If received from nobody IP address". This will hopefully solve this issue until I can figure out what's wrong with the router. FWIW, the support technician suggested that I consider removing all hosts from "client" IP addresses unless those hosts actually need to relay through the server and (I presume) cannot be set to authenticate.

Speaking of which, I have to say that being able to call support, get a live person on the phone, not to mention a knowledgeable live person, and talk through the problem was wonderful. As always, Stalker's support was great, and I will certainly remember that when it comes time to renew my license.