From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: Re: Is the "pbx" account safe to delete?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:11:09 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On 06/17/2011 3:46 AM, Massimo Bolzoni wrote:
Ciao,

sorry to be trivial...... but considering an upgrade to 50 user??

I do not think the price is so high .... neither if you consider this as per use neither as a whole.

Perhaps, but I have to say that most users consider "25 users" to mean 25 actual people, actually *using* the system. They don't expect that the accounts required for the basic operation of the mail server will count against their license allotment. The only time I have seen similar things (ie: Administrator account counting against license count) is for software licensed for concurrent users, which makes sense, as the Administrative account only counts against the licenses when you are actually logged in an using that account.

This is especially annoying because there are TWO accounts by default, not just the normal one administrative account. So, a 25 user license would only allow 23 user accounts.

I understand that CGS would likely argue (convincingly, even!) that the price reflects that reality. They would also likely argue that someone could get two "free" users by deleting pbx and postmaster if they changed the scheme. Either way, though, it can create a bad taste in the mouth of new customers when, right after they install the software, it *appears* to them that they were short-changed by two users. After working so hard on creating a great customer experience, why risk ticking people off?

Perhaps a good way to explain this is to imagine a conversation:

IT Guy: We need to upgrade our 25 user license for CGP.
Boss: Why? We only have 24 people working here!
IT Guy: I know, but we can only add 23 accounts to CGP.
Boss: What?
IT Guy: The 25 user license we bought only allows us to add 23 accounts. The two system accounts count against our quota.
Boss: So, we actually bought a 23 user license?
IT Guy: Yes.
Boss: See! I told you we should gone with Exchange! I was golfing with my buddy from ABC Company, and they use Exchange, and he said they never have these problems.
IT Guy: <Groan>