From: Urs Grützner <ugruetzner@ems.ch>
Subject: SSL and self signed certificates
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:03:02 +0200
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

An authorized certificate is expensive and is due every year,  but what are self signed certificates worth for?

With a self signed certficate and SSL several sending SMTP servers seem not to accept the certificate and the protocol negotiation fails.

What makes the case even worse, you do not see anything about this negotiation failure in the log of our CGP, even when the level "everything" is selected. One simply does not get a mail and if the sender is not making some investigations you do know nothing about the problem.

SSL would make some sense for connecting clients (where a human can accept the certificate with his will), but then we are running in the above mentionned negotiation trap.

How do other treat this problem? Dou you use  self signed certificates? Do you use SSL?

thanks
Urs