From: Todd Clayton <tclayton@marauder.net>
Subject: Incoming Mail from External Server Using From Addresses of Local Mail Users
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:35:05 -0500
To: <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hello,

Hopefully I am going to explain this clearly...

Here is some background information:

1. The mail server users are all remote/mobile.
2. There is a barracuda spam filter sitting in front of the mail server.  So, the mail server sees all incoming mail as coming from the barracuda and not as the end-user IP.
3. I only allow authenticated users relay mail through the server since if I allowed local client IP's and all mail comes from the barracuda IP, all mail will be allowed to be relayed if I understand it correctly.

This configuration works fine for everything except when users received mail that is sent from an address on the server itself from a 3rd-party site.  So, for example, if my email address is todd@mail.com (in this scenario mail.com is my mail server).  Bob goes to CNN and wants to notify me of an article and enters bob@mail.com.  When CNN sends the mail to the server, it sets the from address as bob@mail.com.  So, my mail server rejects the mail with the message that it requires authentication.

Is there a way to allow mail sent to local email addresses from other local email message to be delivered without requiring authentication?

I apologize if this has been addressed before.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd