From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: Message text rejected
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:46:51 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
The other day we ended up getting blacklisted due to a spambot infection on one PC. We solved that problem and began blocking outbound port 25 connections at the firewall for everyone other than the server (I have no idea how I had overlooked this until now!).

Anyhow, we are no longer on any blacklists that I can see, but I have now had two users complain of receiving bounce messages, from different domains. The messages both complained of "message text rejected".

I looked at the log for one of these messages, and it looks like this:

10:04:25.871 4 SMTP-000570(some.server.dom) rsp: 354 Start mail input, end with '<CR><LF>.<CR><LF>'
10:04:26.043 4 SMTP-000570(some.server.dom) rsp: 554 Transaction Failed Spam Message not queued.
10:04:26.043 1 SMTP-000570(some.server.dom) [6662431] message body rejected, got:554 Transaction Failed Spam Message not queued.
10:04:26.043 4 SMTP(some.server.dom) [6662431] batch failed

It appears that the message body text is causing the bounce, but it just seems too coincidental that we had a spam/blacklist problem two days ago and this issue only now crops up. Combine that with the fact that the message bodies were quite benign (no foul language, no obvious red flags), and this looks like an RBL or similar bounce being mis-reported.

Has anyone else seen/dealt with this sort of message before?