From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: Re: Cloud Solutions - Case[VWVY0612-630YV]
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:56:34 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On 06/14/2013 10:49 AM, Robert Opalko wrote:
I'm curious though, and alluded to in a separate email earlier this past
month, what folks are doing in regards to actual backup or failover for
their CGP server(s).  I can see power going out for hours or even a day
and recovering from that, but what happens if you live in
tornado/earthquake/hurricane country and the building housing your
server is demolished?  It's probably the slimmest of chances of
happening but still worth considering?  I actually thought the original
email in this thread was about how to back up CGP to a cloud server in
the event of something happening to the local server, but maybe I
misread it.

Robert,

You have brought up two different but related concepts, that of redundancy and that of backup. If you have a backup, you can install CGP on another machine and restore the data, but the service will be down until you do: there is no redundancy. Truth be told, this is generally good enough for most small organizations, due to the design of SMTP as already mentioned in this thread (any mail sent to you will be held long enough for you to get back on your feet.

Options for redundancy are many and varied, and come with a number of cost/benefit tradeoffs, making choosing one a pretty personal decision.

If redundancy is paramount, you could switch to a service like Google Apps, which handles the backup and redundancy for you, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.