From: Urs Grützner <ugruetzner@ems.ch>
Subject: Re: Mailserver setup domain name
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:59:05 +0100
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
 Correction: this sentence should read: Our CGP Version does _NOT_  has the field to answer the HELO with a "mail" prefix.

Thanks for your answers.

The wish of the webmaster was, that ems.ch works like www.ems.ch

My wish as postmaster is, that we don't have DNS problems….

so everything not found will be addressed to the webserver - i guess that is what you want.

Not really. The problem seems to be, that some recipient SMTP do not have a successful result for the reverse DNS lookup. They seem to search for ems.ch and find the IN A result which is the IP of the web server. In fact ems.ch is first a SOA entry. Through the MX record a cascading query should land successfully on the correct IP of the mail server, but this seems not to work always.

If they would query directly for mail.ems.ch they would come to the IP of the mail server, but Massimo's tip unfortunately does not work. Our CGP Version does has the field to answer the HELO with a "mail" prefix.

Must we go back and let ems.ch to point to the mail server?  However the web user must then write www.ems.ch, but this seems to be a less critical drawback.

Thanks for further advise

Urs

From:"Juergen P. [core]" <juergenp@core.at>
Date:Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:22:40 +0100
To:"CommuniGate Pro Discussions" <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>, "Massimo Bolzoni" <massimo.bolzoni@answervad.it>
X-Mailer:CommuniGate Pronto! 6.0.8
hello,

ems.ch points to a different ip  than your mailserver.
i would replace

 ems.ch IN A 192.162.28.5;   identical to www.ems.ch

with

@ IN A 192.162.28.5

this is a pointer to a default address ems.ch - like the domain name -  "@" represents zone origin
so everything not found will be addressed to the webserver - i guess that is what you want.

kr

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:01:38 +0100
 Massimo Bolzoni <massimo.bolzoni@answervad.it> wrote:
 Ciao,

 Il giorno 10/mar/2014, alle ore 14.51, Urs Grützner ha scritto:

 CommuniGate Pro SMTP 5.1.16

 Our domain is ems.ch

 In the DNS we have the following entries

 ems.ch IN SOA
 www.ems.ch IN A 192.162.28.5 = Webserver
 ems.ch IN A 192.162.28.5;   identical to www.ems.ch
 mail.ems.ch IN A 194.209.14.153 (Mailserver)

 While sending mails have sometimes the problem with DNS failure. The cause is most probably the fact, that our server answers with 220 ems.ch and not with 220 mail.ems.ch

 Yes that may be....

 Other reason can be the DNS queried by the CGP that has bad info on it, or the recipient domains are not correctly configured or they use a non professional DNS system.

 I am not sure where exactly this answer is to be set. I guess the Main Domain Name "ems.ch" itself  should not to be changed, or am I wrong?

 You are right the MDN can not be changed, but you can pre-append a string to the MDN for sending email in the latest version of CGP (not sure in 5.1.x):

 Ciao

 Max

 Thanks for advise

 Urs

       Urs Gruetzner                               ugruetzner@ems.ch
       Engineering Management                 Phone +41 31 326 2323
       Selection E.M.S. AG                    Fax   +41 31 326 2320
       Neuengasse 39 P.O.B. 6019       mobile   +41 79 341 52 92
       CH-3001 Bern Switzerland                    http://www.ems.ch