From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymes.com>
Subject: Re: Reverse DNS mismatch
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 16:37:11 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On 04/05/2014 1:51 PM, Bill Cole wrote:

<snip>

If a domain would have a single MX resolving to a name with a single A
for the bare domain name or which resolves to the same IP as the single
A for the bare domain, the MX is functionally useless. Treating the lack
of an MX for a domain which has a single A record as problematic for
mail in any way is technically invalid and extremely rare.

I'm sure you're right, Bill, but it could just as easily be stated that, while an MX is not strictly required, it is essentially cost-free and may be useful in some circumstances, even if only for broken implementations. Or have I missed something?