From: Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Subject: Re: Automatically reject emails other than for a few domains?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 14:53:48 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
In CGP the DNS lookups are one of the things that happens first, so I don't think you can put a verification before.

You could maybe add a forwarding CGP server (or postfix or anything in fact) in front of your main one.
This new server wouldn't require a license as it wouldn't have any accounts, it would only have a few router rules to forward all relevant mail to the main server and refuse everything else.

If you make sure both server are enqueuing synchronously, messages to non-email domains and messages to invalid addresses should be refused during the SMTP session, without generating a bounce.

NH

On 2015-09-08 14:14, Brian wrote:
Thanks for the response Brian.

I think I need to explain my situation a bit better. I have hundreds of domains pointed at my server. Out of those hundreds, only 3 receive emails.  When I look at the logs I see a constant stream of incoming mail, 99.99% of which are connected to the non-email domains. What I'm trying to do is eliminate my server's need to look up dns records for each of those bad emails. Since the list of "good" domains is known, my hope is that instead of doing all those lookups on every email, that there's some way to tell the server that if an email isn't destined to one of my 3 domains, just reject the email immediately and don't bother checking dns or doing any other processing.

I've tried setting it to redirect all unknowns to spamtrap and I've tried writing rules at the server level to reject everything I don't want, but these seem to kick in after the dns lookups already happen.

If adding some rules to the router would do what I need then ok, but the list of domains that are pointed at my server is in constant flux so I don't want to have to write and maintain a list of several hundred rules for each of the non-email domains, I'd prefer to be able to create a small set of rules that that tell the server to disregard any emails that don't belong to the 3 domains. Is it possible to do this and prevent the redundant lookups from happening?

Thanks again.

Brian

On 09/08/2015 12:52 PM, Brian Turnbow wrote:
Hi Brian,

Communigate is checking dns records looking for an MX record or a domain level record , ie mydomain.com, that point to an IP
Finding one constitutes a valid mail server , It seems you have records pointing to  the Communigate ip and as communigate does not know the domain it will give this error finding a loop ( I have to send this to another email server but that server  is myself )

You can easily disregard emails for the domain by creating route records
https://www.communigate.com/communigatepro/Router.html#Special

you can reject(error), accept and drop(null) route to spamtraps(spamtrap) etc so you can get creative on what you want to do.

Brian