From: Shaun Gamble <listrdr@redco.com.au>
Subject: MAPI cache dat file size
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:45:21 +1000
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
So one of my managers (running latest MAPI with Outlook 2013 on 64 bit Windows 7) had a 6GB dat file in his profile. It corrupted. I restored the dat file prior to the corruption and it is working fine again. However, the dilemma is the cache file shouldn't be this big, theoretically. He had a large number of emails, which he has since archived off to multiple PST files. His account is reporting only about 100MB in size now.

If this was a PST file, I would run Outlook's compression on it. This does not seem to be possible. So how do we compress the cache file? I know I can delete the profile but I really don't want to go through that. Any ideas? If I simply delete the cache dat file, will it be recreated once Outlook is started, as opposed to deleting the whole profile and having to reconfigure the profile again?

TIA.

--

Shaun
Fitzroy Island <http://www.fitzroyisland.com>