From: Thomas Bleek <bl@gfz-potsdam.de>
Subject: Re: Server becoming unresponsive
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 16:01:24 +0100
To: Discussions Pro CommuniGate <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
I see for some months now similar effects on Solaris 10 (SPARC and X86). When the load goes high (6-20) after some hours or days running the machines (0x2 dynamic cluster) slow down and the I restart the cgp process. Mostly I have to kill the process with kill <PID>, the kill -HUP <PID> is not sufficient. The process tries to terminate but hangs with still using cpu cycles. After giving the kill <pid> the process dies immediatly without writing anything to the logs.

Top shows (often) exactly 999 Threads, may be a internal default limit. I still did not find the reason.

My hope to solve this was updating to the current version. I am still not ready for doing this, but seeing your mail, my hope is much smaller now:-(

I still did not report this to support because the version is not current.

Hope somebody is helping.
Best regards,
Thomas

Am 13.01.2016 um 15:45 schrieb Tom Marble <marble.tom@slpschools.org>:

All,
   We have been using Communicate Pro for over 10 years on the OS X platform.  We have between 900 and 1000 users for mainly email and groupware.   The vast majority of our clients access the server through the web interface (we use the Niversoft LooOut Skin).  Our server is a quad core Xserve running 10.10.5 with 24 gig of ram.   We are running CGP 6.1.6.
    In the past month or so, the CGP server process will begin to spike and then stay at around 140% CPU (as reported by TOP).  The overall server resource use as reported by TOP is 85-95% idle.  In the administrative web interface in CGP we will see Threads that are “Locked at Retain.”  As soon as this happens, the CPU utilization reported by TOP goes to 140, 150, even over 200%.  This starts a cascade effect where any subsequent thread also becomes “Locked at Retain.”   Eventually, accessing the server as a user through the web interface becomes unresponsive and we must restart the CGP process.
   This issue has steadily become worse and we are having to restart the CGP process several times a day.  We have an open case with Communicate support, but so far no progress.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom Marble
Director of Information Services
St. Louis Park Public Schools

Dr. Thomas Bleek, Netzwerkadministrator
Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam
Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum
Telegrafenberg A20/225
D-14473 Potsdam
Tel.: +49 331 288- 1818/1681 Fax.: 1730 Mobil: +49 172 1543233
E-Mail: bl@gfz-potsdam.de