From: Bill Cole <cgp-2015@billmail.scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Clustered Re: Virtualization questions
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:00:51 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On 28 Mar 2016, at 13:54, Jeff Wark wrote:

Any people running a cluster in VMWare?  Or maybe one machine.  We have 3 fronts and it would be nice to have a virtual machine ready to take the place of a machine that is being worked on (or replace fronts with vm's).

I manage a production standalone CGP instance on FreeBSD on VMWare and a production gonna-be-a-micro-cluster node running on a FreeBSD VM on XenServer. I HAD a second node up for a month of smoketests with one domain for that wannabe-cluster on a FreeBSD VM on KVM/CentOS. All worked smoothly with that until my boss said "why are we virtualizing these CGP nodes anyway?" and we realized that the reasons we had 3 years ago for wanting to do so were no longer valid. We're returning to running on hardware.

So I can't say for sure that a cluster on VMWare would work, but a single server does and a microcluster on somewhat disparate VMs works as well. CAVEATS: We don't use the VoIP/SIP/Signals functionality (except to the extent that CGP abstracts XMPP down into the same modules) and I only set up the simplest possible cluster: 2 nodes, both combined front+back.