From: Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Subject: Re: New Server Hardware
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:44:10 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Indexing helps a lot with read operations.

Delete operation requires CGP to rewrite the whole mbox file to compact it. It doesn't compact the file for each delete, but it has to do so now and then. And this is what slows down your server.

The mslc format will help with that as the files are much smaller (usually around 100-mb chunks). And they are indexed, so IMHO they have the advantages of both mdir and mbox, and none of the inconvenients.

On 2016-07-21 09:37, Karl Zander wrote:
Mostly mbox with indexing enabled.  Mailboxes are very large with some over 10 G.  I limit each folder to 2 G.

I forget about the mslc format.  Have to check that out.

--Karl

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 18:02:25 -0400
 Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com> wrote:
Are your mailboxes in mbox format? Are those mailboxes quite big (500Mb+)?

You may benefit converting them to the mslc format.
Mdir would be good too for deletes, but I would test the initial mailbox open performance before converting everything.

*Nicolas Hatier, ing.* <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com <mailto:nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>>

On 2016-07-20 16:03, Karl Zander wrote:
Looking at getting new hardware for our CGP server.   We have about 45 accounts mostly using Outlook with the MAPI connector.

The biggest issue we are looking to address is performance drops when someone deletes or moves a large number of messages through Outlook.  The server is barely useful if someone deletes several hundred messages at once like when emptying Trash.

Current server has 8 GB RAM.  3 x 250 GB drives in RAID 5.  (I think they are 10,000 RPM drives.)  Server runs Linux (Gentoo Linux) with a 4.1.2 kernel.  File system is ReiserFS.  Dual Xeon 1.86 Ghz CPUs

Plan to go to 16 GB RAM.  Quad CPU.  Staying with Gentoo Linux.

What are people using for disk drives and file systems?

--Karl