From: Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Subject: Re: New Server Hardware
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 18:06:45 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

mdir has the issue of not being indexed. Opening a large mailbox with several thousands of messages may take a while, it all depends on the filesystem. All other operations are very fast. And it's very handy for incremental backups.

mbox is indexed. All operations are usually very fast, except compacting large mailboxes after delete.

mslc comes in-between, and I believe it does not have any real shortcoming.

On 2016-07-21 17:10, Ana Guillen wrote:
Nicolas

Which one would you consider be best for larger accounts over 5gigs, to be able to search, load , move and delete emails? mdir or mslc

On 2016-07-20 16:03, Karl Zander wrote:
Looking at getting new hardware for our CGP server.   We have about 45 accounts mostly using Outlook with the MAPI connector.

The biggest issue we are looking to address is performance drops when someone deletes or moves a large number of messages through Outlook.  The server is barely useful if someone deletes several hundred messages at once like when emptying Trash.

Current server has 8 GB RAM.  3 x 250 GB drives in RAID 5.  (I think they are 10,000 RPM drives.)  Server runs Linux (Gentoo Linux) with a 4.1.2 kernel.  File system is ReiserFS.  Dual Xeon 1.86 Ghz CPUs

Plan to go to 16 GB RAM.  Quad CPU.  Staying with Gentoo Linux.

What are people using for disk drives and file systems?

--Karl