From: Jeff Porten <jporten@cni.org>
Subject: Questions about our upcoming CGP migration
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 13:34:21 -0700
To: <CGatePro>
We are about to migrate our live server from hardware running OS X Server 10.6.8 to newer hardware running macOS Server 10.12, and from CGP 6.0.9 to 6.1.11. Currently we have an out-of-date copy of /var/CommuniGate running on the new server, and we’re watching the logs to make sure everything looks kosher. A smattering of questions that have come up over the weekend:

1) anyone else running CGP on macOS 10.12 yet? Or are we the lucky lucky bleeding edge that the rest of you will be watching? (We were planning on migrating to 10.11 Server, but since we’ve got other servers we’re taking to 10.12 in January, it seemed to make sense to keep them all in sync. That said, this is our most important server, so I’m looking forward to hearing we’re not the guinea pigs.)

2) we’re getting a whole bunch of “connection dropped” errors when connecting to the CGP web admin on the new server. Seems to (mostly) go ahead on page reload, but it sometimes takes 3-4 tries. Any ideas why, or how to fix?

3) one of our mailing lists is coming up with several hundred “separator damaged” error messages in the logs every time CGP scans it, which seems to be once or twice daily and at startup. We’ve seen these errors on our current CGP and generally ignore them; any reason to be concerned? This is a moribund list that hasn’t had any legitimate traffic since 2003, but at the same time, I don’t want to do anything silly. (We had a prior migration send out a few hundred messages as new to an entire mailing list; that’s something we don’t want to have happen again.)

4) finally, I’ll be a much happier camper if there were some way to simulate the normal load we see on the live server against the new one before we take it live. Are there any tools I can point at the server to do this?

Best,
Jeff