From: Matthew Black <Matthew.Black@csulb.edu>
Subject: RE: Temporarily blocked...not
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 20:47:47 +0000
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
This DMARC requirement breaks mailing lists unless you want to violate e-mail RFCs. Technically, you are forbidden from changing the From header in e-mail. You wanna call a cop on someone violating an RFC?

Yahoo says that e-mail from your mailing list using From: sender@yahoo.com is a forgery because you are not using their IP address. L-Soft LISTSERV software released a patch a few years ago to work around this issue after Yahoo enabled DMARC reject policy enforcement. LISTSERV now replaces the From: header with a computer-generated fictitious address From: dmarc-####@listserv.example.com. The LISTSERV is now responsible for tracking these assignments and then forwarding replies to list postings onto the original From: list poster.

https://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/LISTSERV16.0-2014b_WhatsNew.pdf

matthew black
california state university, long beach

On 2016-10-27 21:56 , Tom Rymes wrote:
> On 10/27/2016 12:27 PM, Palvelin Postmaster wrote:
>
>> Couldn’t one instead argue that mailing lists are ”broken” in this
>> regard? :) I don’t think DMARC and SPF are going anywhere but instead
>> becoming more popular.
>
> I did see the smiley, but seeing as mailing lists pre-date DMARC and SPF
> by decades, I'm going to go with DMARC is broken for not taking this
> long-standing and widely used technology into account as part of its
> design.
>
> Of course, those developing DMARC and SPF have a built-in business
> reasons for trying to make mailing lists fade into history, so that
> might play a part in it?
>
> Tom

CGPro mailing lists in general and this one in particular can be
configured to set the From address in list posting to the list address
(rather than poster's) but preserve the display name part of the
address. If there is no further reasoning against this then we probably
turn this feature on for this list. Objections?

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Akindinov.