From: Terrence Koeman <terrence@darkness-reigns.com>
Subject: RE: hPronto issue
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 00:03:38 +0100
To: 'CommuniGate Pro Discussions' <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hi Robert,

I don't use the default skins, so I can't help you with your specific problem. But before you dump CGP altogether, maybe check out the LookOut skin from Niversoft (http://www.niversoft.com/products/cgskins/lookout). It's well-supported.

But you're not wrong, getting a bug fixed I CGP can take a long time, if it happens at all. Years ago I reported that CGP with --dropRoot would start its helpers as root (and then wasn't able to kill them later) as well as create the first logfile with owner root (if it didn't exist). After a year or two the first half of the bug got (silently) fixed, but CGP is still writing the logfile as root today.

Eventually I just cronned a script that fixes the owner on the log file, and the helper problem I also had worked around with a script: periodically check if any helpers were running as root and, if so, kill them so CGP would restart them as user cgatepro and force the right permissions on helper files with SUIDDIR in the kernel and the sticky bit on helper dirs.

Also, CGP is still shipping with a bunch of trusted (by CGP) root CA certificates that are expired or were revoked because of compromise (and even one known rogue CA). This issue I reported July 2015 (also on this list, see: "Expired, 1024bit, MD5 & a rogue/fake "Built-in trusted Certificate(s)" (root/CA certs) in CGP"). They removed a few from the distribution, but left most in place. My GlobalSign S/MIME certificate is still not trusted by CGP unless I manually add the CA.

CGP is great when it all works, if it doesn't work you'll need to be comfortable working around the problem(s) yourself. For instance, by using a 3rd party skin, using opensmtpd and/or stunnel as a gateway between CGP and the internet to get more control over SSL/TLS sessions than the 6 or so options/toggles CGP offers, manually trash and rebuild the trusted CA list, etcetera.

Those are the only two issues I reported, but I've encountered many more. Unfortunately most seem FreeBSD-specific and from how the rc.d script is written for FreeBSD (an abomination) combined with how long it took to switch the package format to pkgng, it's pretty clear to me their developers don't understand FreeBSD very well (nor test on it regularly). So it seems a waste of time.

But to be honest, I have a few people that need Outlook, and like the prospect of running MS Exchange even less ;) In any case, don't expect too much from support or the list.

Good luck!

--
Regards,
   Terrence Koeman, PhD/MTh/BPsy