From: Mark J Strawcutter <mjstraw@iup.edu>
Subject: Re: [Ext]Re: hPronto issue
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:19:21 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Those were the days...

Mark

On 1/11/2017 9:06 AM, Jeff Wark wrote:
That is interesting.  I can remember when we first switched to a cluster
system, we discovered a few bugs with the web pages being delivered from
personal file storage spaces.  Those bugs were fixed in the next
iteration of CommuniGate after we reported it.

That being said, that was probably 10-ish years ago.

--

Jeff Wark
Tbaytel Internet

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 00:03:38 +0100
"Terrence Koeman" <terrence@darkness-reigns.com> wrote:
Hi Robert,

I don't use the default skins, so I can't help you with your specific
problem. But before you dump CGP altogether, maybe check
out the LookOut skin from Niversoft
(http://www.niversoft.com/products/cgskins/lookout). It's well-supported.

But you're not wrong, getting a bug fixed I CGP can take a long time,
if it happens at all. Years ago I reported that CGP with
--dropRoot would start its helpers as root (and then wasn't able to
kill them later) as well as create the first logfile with
owner root (if it didn't exist). After a year or two the first half of
the bug got (silently) fixed, but CGP is still writing
the logfile as root today.

Eventually I just cronned a script that fixes the owner on the log
file, and the helper problem I also had worked around with a
script: periodically check if any helpers were running as root and, if
so, kill them so CGP would restart them as user cgatepro
and force the right permissions on helper files with SUIDDIR in the
kernel and the sticky bit on helper dirs.

Also, CGP is still shipping with a bunch of trusted (by CGP) root CA
certificates that are expired or were revoked because of
compromise (and even one known rogue CA). This issue I reported July
2015 (also on this list, see: "Expired, 1024bit, MD5 & a
rogue/fake "Built-in trusted Certificate(s)" (root/CA certs) in CGP").
They removed a few from the distribution, but left most
in place. My GlobalSign S/MIME certificate is still not trusted by CGP
unless I manually add the CA.

CGP is great when it all works, if it doesn't work you'll need to be
comfortable working around the problem(s) yourself. For
instance, by using a 3rd party skin, using opensmtpd and/or stunnel as
a gateway between CGP and the internet to get more
control over SSL/TLS sessions than the 6 or so options/toggles CGP
offers, manually trash and rebuild the trusted CA list,
etcetera.

Those are the only two issues I reported, but I've encountered many
more. Unfortunately most seem FreeBSD-specific and from how
the rc.d script is written for FreeBSD (an abomination) combined with
how long it took to switch the package format to pkgng,
it's pretty clear to me their developers don't understand FreeBSD very
well (nor test on it regularly). So it seems a waste of
time.

But to be honest, I have a few people that need Outlook, and like the
prospect of running MS Exchange even less ;) In any case,
don't expect too much from support or the list.

Good luck!

--
Regards,
  Terrence Koeman, PhD/MTh/BPsy