From: Gib Henry gib@gibhenry.com <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Subject: Re: [CGP-Update] [*] CommuniGate Pro 6.2 is released
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 07:47:52 -0600
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

Having read the license agreement and the message thread quoted below (and its predecessors), I think the unanswered question in everyone’s mind is this:

When the license expires, the server does not shut off, but what does happen?  Obviously, the licensee would be running without technical support, but are there any other implications?

Second question:  is there still a limited community version (useful for testing)?  Cheers,
--
Gib Henry

Hello,

On 2017-11-22 02:20, Shaun Gamble listrdr@redco.com.au wrote:
Did Stalker not learn from the EA SWBFII saga? :-)

I have been paying my yearly maintenance fees. If this is merely a name change with a smaller license validity period, then okay. This is what I have been doing anyway, especially with the helper apps.

However if the price is about to change then this is the excuse I needed to move off self hosting and onto cloud hosting by someone else.

Discussing the business and licensing models is not something that our technical support team normally has to do, that better be done with CGS sales representatives that you normally work with. But here's how our technical team has been instructed to answer questions on the meaning of the new end-user license agreement text:

  You do not have to upgrade to ver 6.2 or any major version for that matter, and neither do you need to move to a new License if you choose not. If you want to move to a new version, such as CommuniGate Pro 6.2 you will either need to accept the new License and its terms or have a written contractual agreement, those being quite common place for larger Licenses i.e. hosting companies.

  For anyone “current” in their maintenance nothing will change on price you would pay on a yearly basis to be “valid”. However, it has been a decade since we have raised prices and it might not be another decade before they change. But no decision has been made on this currently.

  We believe there is not a huge inconvenience to update your License on a yearly basis. Consider that the normal operations of a messaging platform “typically” have Filters (subscription) and other revolving payment requirements, like your Internet pipe or electric bills. You can always discuss this with your regional office and request a special agreement.

  Yes, the server will make notifications when your License validation period is coming to an end 2 months before, 1 month before, and when you logon to the administration UI. Also if you have a existing License our regional office would be contacting you to renew. The server will not shut off, and as previously said many notifications will be made.

End of quote.

On 21/11/2017 11:34 PM, Brian Turnbow b.turnbow@twt.it wrote:
* IMPORTANT: the End User License Agreement has been modified.
http://www.stalker.com/main/purchase/eula/cgp.html

3. VALIDITY AND MAINTENANCE

The License Keys are valid for 12 months. To extend the validity period by
12 months, the updated set of License Keys should be purchased before the
end of the current validity period

Say goodbye to your perpetual licenses.