From: Shaun Gamble listrdr@redco.com.au <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Subject: Re: DNS server failure - mail queue issue
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 11:33:31 +1000
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
As you rightly say, the initial fault was not with CGP but with a DNS server. However Paul (OP) stated he fixed the DNS server and the domain now resolves correctly. DNS problem fixed.

The existing msg in the queue did not appear to be exiting the queue after the fix. So, in this scenario, rather than wait for the msg to be resubmitted back into the queue, surely a quick restart would resolve the problem?

Hello,

On 2018-07-13 08:43, Ralf Zenklusen, BAR Informatik AG r.zenklusen@barinformatik.ch wrote:
Hi Paul,

That’s strange, I would expect that the emails would have failed and an error message would have been send back to the sender – at least pre 6.2.5.

In 6.2.5 this was added:

  * SMTP: DNS server failures to resolve remote hostnames are treated as
    non-fatal failures.

So, since then I would expect that the emails would stay in the queue until DNS works or retry time is over.

Yes, restart should help.

Note however, that "DNS server failure" here means actually a failure of the DNS server that CGPro is configured to use: CGPro sent request to that DNS server to resolve some name and got a response back, but that response contained only the failure statement - the DNS server was not able resolve the name. This may be caused by resource shortage on that server but more common is some transient failure at the servers responsible for the DNS zone that contains the name in question: they may be using too short TTLs, refuse recursive requests etc.

So, I would say, restarting CGPro here would not help

But would be good to know which version you’re using.

Regards

Ralf