From: Wael Shahin <wael.shahin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: RDNS lookup without mail rejection?
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:40:38 +0300
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 11:18 -0700, Bret Miller wrote:
> > Have you got to the bottom of this? does integrating with SpamAssassin
> > help?
> >
> > On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 08:46 -0700, Bret Miller wrote:
> > > Is there a way to tell CGPro to lookup and record the
> > reverse DNS of the
> > > sending host in the received header without rejecting email
> > if HELO or MAIL FROM is wrong?
>
> No. Haven't figured this out. I suspect it's not possible.
>
> The idea is that SpamAssassin DOESN'T do its own RDNS lookup, so it's necessary for the MTA to provide that information. BUT, I have a few people we need to remain in contact with who have very badly configured mail servers.
>
> So, I want the information without the rejection so it can be processed by rules and helpers.
I am not sure if this will make sense to you but would you consider
running two MTAs? such as exim on port 25 and CommuniGate in the
background? The main problem with that I believe is if you are not using
an LDAP server for authentication.
> I realize that I could manage this myself,
And I will be interested if you would kindly let me know what happened
or if I can be of help.
>  but then every rule and helper that needs the information has to do it itself because you can't add it to the header and have another rule's helper see that information.
>
> So I guess this becomes a feature request that will likely never be done...
> And I'll have to write my own code to do it again. <sigh>
I have had bad experience with external helpers that were not approved
by Stalker and the CommuniGate server for some reason. Whether they were
performance issues or weired one. But then again that might be my
problem alone