From: Todd Schuldt <TSCHULD@kirkwood.edu>
Subject: Re: Spammers bypassing Appliance!
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:47:22 -0500
To: <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
You could require authentication for port 25 and create a login for your appliance.  Your remote clients would need to set up smtp auth before send as well.

Todd Schuldt
Senior System Administrator
Kirkwood Community College

>>> webbre@gse.harvard.edu 09/11/07 08:19AM >>>
Greets,

We've run into a problem which is only getting worse; spammers are
bypassing our spam appliance, which sits in front of our CGP server. The
only MX Record for our domain points to the appliance, so I'm guessing that
these spammers are not performing MX lookups.

We have mobile users, so I don't think we can set the Remote Address
Restrictions on the SMTP Listener to only accept mail from the appliance.

On the Server Protection page, we have all of our network segments listed
as LAN IP's, we treat all LAN IP's as Client IP's, and we allow mobile
users to authenticate and be treated as Client IP's.

I called Support yesterday and they were helpful, but I still wanted to
throw this out there... is there any way to only allow SMTP from Client
IP's? (so this would allow SMTP from all LAN IP's, and any mobile users who
have authenticated)

Is there maybe something else I'm not thinking of which might thwart these
spammers?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Reece

Reece Webb                Systems Administrator
reece_webb@harvard.edu             617.384.7940
                               fax 617.384.7801
Harvard University Graduate School of Education