From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymesheating.com>
Subject: URL redirection and ProxyPass [was: RE: Which port(s) for AirSync?]
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:56:01 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

[snip]

> We run Apache on our webserver, and after a bit of research, I found
> that I could add redirection just for the AirSync URLs to our
> mailserver. All I needed to do was recompile Apache with the
> "mod_proxy"
> module and add the following two lines to the http config:
>
> ProxyPass /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
> https://mailserver:9100/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
> ProxyPassReverse /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
> https://mailserver:9100/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync

[snip]

I know this slightly off-topic, but I imagine this is a topic of
interest to many on the list.

I have tried implementing this for our setup, but I was trying to
redirect /webmail to the :9100 port. That port is opened on our
firewall, and you can access it normally by typing
https://our.server.name:9100 . All works normally. I entered the
following in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:

ProxyPass /webmail https://our.server.name:9100
ProxyPassReverse /webmail https://our.server.name:9100

This does not work as expected when browsing to
https://www.rymesheating.com/webmail; I get a web page stating "No such
page or directory". I get an internal server error if I use http://
instead of https://. I tried to add these lines to the
/etc/httpd.conf/conf.d/ssl.conf, but that does not work, either.

If I substitute the non-ssl port instead (ie: ProxyPass /webmail
http://our.server.name:8100) that brings up the login page, but you are
dropped out to our main webpage (http://our.server.name/) once you
authenticate.

The ProxyPass feature works just fine when I substitute a different page
that is not on a different port.

Any thoughts appreciated.