From: Val Luck <val@razorstream.com>
Subject: Re: 2gb mailbox limit???
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:20:33 -0800
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hi Guys,

I'm glad this topic recently came up because I'm hitting it too.

I read a bunch of emails that say "i'm getting stuck at 2gb" and others say "not a problem for me" or "I have users over 2gb" or "try mdir"... but the people who say "try mdir" don't say "it works for sure" and the people who say they have users with folders over 2gb don't say if they're using mbox or mdir.

I would love to try and pin down limits, and it would be great if a stalker tech could chime in and agree/disagree or even state the facts.

I am running 5.0.14 on ubuntu (2.6.22-14-server #1 SMP)

"SYSTEM server 5.0.14 started under Linux, open files limit=1024"

I am using MBOX format and am getting a lot of these errors:

08:08:28.04 1 MAILBOX(user1@company.com/INBOX/Friends) cannot append a message (4453965+57 bytes): quota exceeded, 2144801483 in box
08:10:34.06 1 MAILBOX(user1@company.com/INBOX/Friends) cannot append a message (4453965+57 bytes): quota exceeded, 2144801483 in box
08:13:33.70 1 MAILBOX(user1@company.com/INBOX/Friends) cannot append a message (4453965+57 bytes): quota exceeded, 2145139141 in box
08:17:02.50 1 MAILBOX(user1@company.com/INBOX/Friends) cannot append a message (4453965+57 bytes): quota exceeded, 2145142699 in box

Indeed, that mbox file, "Friends.mbox" is hovering right at about 2gb.  All other "quotas" in the system are at unlimited, so it must be this 2gb file limit I'm hitting.

I would very much like to know who is able to have a "Folder" such as INBOX/Friends above that is able to go above 2gb on a 32bit unix/linux filesystem, and if they use mdir or mbox?

Is there some system setting I can increase?  Is there come CGP setting I can modify to "SUPPLPARAMS=" in the startup script to make a difference?

If I can undergo the pain of converting from mbox > mdir but solve the problem, I'll willingly do that.

<soapbox> I know the easy thing is for the admin to say "tell the user to delete stuff", and 10 years ago, I'd do just that.  Back then hard disk space was tiny compared to today, and the mindset it just different.  In todays day in age of media, spreadsheets, documents, email IS used to transmit, store, and remotely provide access to a users files.  The users are our customers, and we want to be as accommodating as possible, especially when they sign our paychecks :-) </soapbox>

Thanks for everyone in the CGP community !

Val

Chad Gareau wrote:
Same for us, we have many over 2GB ... without any trouble.

CG