From: James Roman <james_roman@ssaihq.com>
Subject: Re: Winmail.dat question
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:35:17 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
We've seen the same behavior.  We would have one person draft a broadcast e-mail message. Then they would send it to another individual for approval and distribution. The original e-mail message from outlook is fine. Once the approver opened the message, it would change. Unfortunately we have numerous recipients who still regularly use terminal based e-mail clients. The winmail.dat file makes it unreadable by most text-based mail clients.

We did some tests where we had individuals send messages to themselves. We saw that as soon as Outlook touched the message, it modified it. So if Outlook is configured to mark a message as read after 5 seconds, you get a winmail.dat. Outlook has the preview pane enabled, you get a winmail.dat. If you sent two messages to yourself from a non-outlook client and then opened Outlook, the top message would get opened and a winmail.dat appended. If you left the second message in the list alone, you could close outlook and still open it in another client.

There was a quite a bit of activity on this topic in the Thunderbird development list at the time. I believe that Thunderbird borrowed some code from kmail to be able to parse these winmail.dat messages. We ended up going with a workflow tool for broadcast messages to get outlook out of the loop.

Actually, we are using the Winmaildat filter from Niversoft. Also this is occuring after the message is received. We have a rule that captures the messages just before they are written to the mailbox. The captured version does not have a Winmail.dat attached to it. It seems the Outlook modififed the message and wrote it back to the mailbox. All the settings that I have found are set to HTML rather than RTF.

The piece of this that really confuses me that it seems to only be occuring on messages forwarded to him from his secretary. I really don't think this is a CG problem more as it is an Outlook problem, but was just wondering if anyone had ran into this before.