From: Wayne Gamble <rfecgate@rfe.net>
Subject: Sender needs 50 addresses
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:53:55 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Here's my situation.  I have a manager that wants one of her employees to be able to send/receive mail as any one of fifty or more users.  Initially I handled this by adding 50 aliases to the users account, and setting up 50 separate identities in Thunderbird.  Problem solved, I thought.

However, there is high turnover in that department so they are constantly adding/dropping aliases.  In addition, the person that needs this uber account changes ever few months (not to mention the problem of vacation, sick days, etc.).

As an alternative, I've suggested setting up real accounts for all 50 users.  Each account would forward a copy of all incoming mail to a forwarder address, which in turn can be pointed to whatever user needs to handle the mail.  This would allow them to know when mail has been received by any of the accounts, and determine what, if any, response is needed.

To send as a particular user they would log into the appropriate account using webmail/Pronto, etc..  Not elegant, but a solution that would only require us to change the forwarder when the employee with the emailing duties is absent or changes.

Email is only a tiny part of our duties and the high maintenance requirements  of the Thunderbird solution isn't acceptable, unfortunately my alternative solution has not been enthusiastically received.

Any suggestions for a third alternative?

Thanks,

 - Wayne