From: Wayne Gamble <rfecgate@rfe.net>
Subject: Re: E-mail Archiving Solutions
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 18:33:47 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
If your requirements were only "every email that goes in and out of my mail server I would like to copied down and saved on a storage device."

I was going to suggest that you could use a rule like:

header field is *@*.*
store in ~backup/INBOX

(where backup is a standard user account), to capture a copy of every message sent or received on your server.

Then set up a separate computer (with sufficient storage to handle your requirements) running a free copy of CGatePro  (5 users or less).  Create a single user account on the archive computer and have that account download the messages from your regular cgate server via RPOP.  If you use MDIR the account could handle very large amounts of email.  (During testing I had an account with multiple 10GB folders).  Periodically renaming the INBOX (which automatically creates a new INBOX) would allow you to organize your archive.  You could use webmail or a standard client like Thunderbird to access the account on your "Archive PC".

However this method would only create a standard email account that doesn't meet your other requirements (individual access, read-only, etc).   For that you will probably need a dedicated device like the Barracuda Message Archiver.  (FYI, I have a Barracuda Web filter, and a Barracuda Spam filter, but have not used their message archiver).

This question comes up from time to time. I, for one, would be interested in knowing your solution when you make your decision.

 - Wayne