From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymesheating.com>
Subject: Re: How to tell how many accounts you have licensed?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:37:43 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Sep 16, 2008, at 7:42 AM, Philip Slater wrote:
I had this discussion with development some time ago and asked the very same question. The answer that was provided was good enough for me to make me nod my head in agreement with development: I will not go into detail.

However, I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the following ideas and will present the case to development.

1. Each license key number is provided with an comments box that would allow you to type in items such as type of key, number of ? and month/year of issue.

2. Each license key number has 4 drop down boxes for comments to include type of key, number associated and month/year of issue.

Of course the accuracy would be dependent on the administrator's diligence.

Philip,

your suggestion would work, but it seems unnecessarily cumbersome. Why should I have to enter this information when the software itself **ALREADY KNOWS*** what this information is. The software is able to verify that your license hasn't expired, so it must know the expriation date. The software is able to prevent you from adding additional users if they exceed the number of users for which you are licensed, so it must know the total number of users licensed. Why then, would I be forced to enter this information, and to update it every time I renew or upgrade my license? Talk about making the users' lives more difficult for what *seems* like no valid reason. Therefore, I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind development's decision not to include this functionality.

As a good example, we use Pollustop from Niversoft, and it shows both how many users your license allows and how many users are currently in use. In addition, it will send an e-mail when you exceed the number of licensed users and provide a grace period to get back in compliance before the software stops functioning. ***THAT*** is how software should work. It's helpful instead of annoying. (As a side note, Pollustop is just a great product in general. Highly recommended....)

This is something that I would consider "Basic Functionality", and I think just about everyone would agree. Sure, we can look up our original license paperwork and get the same answer (and I even know where mine is...), but why should I have to?