From: Shaun Gamble <listrdr@redco.com.au>
Subject: Re: Your experiences - MBOX vs MDIR
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:30:21 +0930
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Herbert Fischer wrote:

Hi,

Despite all the facts and discussions we do about this two formats I would like to know more about your experiences on using both of this formats in CGP, including the file system used in any case. I know each one have advantages and disadvantages but most of the perceptions we only have in production environments.

I work in a ISP and host more than 1.5 million mailboxes and have all types of users using maildir format and some opensource adapted software.

We decided to go MBOX in CGP to reduce I/O on storages but we have raised some speculations on copy-on-write method used by ZFS, the choosen FS in this project.

The only real difference I've found is the folder size limit. Mbox can't allow a folder above 2GB. Mdir can. Otherwise, indexing has really sped mbox up and they're fairly equal, from my tests.

--

Shaun
http://www.crocosauruscove.com http://www.destinationnt.com