From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymesheating.com>
Subject: Re: Thunderbird Contacts on CGP - a solution?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:35:24 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Oct 9, 2008, at 6:18 PM, Shaun Gamble wrote:

Graeme Fowler wrote:
On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 10:36 +0100, Communigate Forum wrote:

[snip]

I fully expect the "internal" line from CGS will be that Pronto is the
basis of a fantastic cross-platform client :)

I've tried placing my staff onto Pronto! instead of Outlook. It just is not a competent client for use in the business world. The only way to use Outlook is to buy Office. As we are moving away from MS Office to OOffice, this means no Outlook. I agree about the Lightning add on, however the only other alternative is Evolution. Allowing Evolution to work with CGP's calendar and contacts would fix the cross platform problem, to an extent. There has to be some alternative.

Agreed. I think what is going on here and with Mac Client support is that CGS is trying to not support specific clients against others and running into dead-ends as the client landscape changes. Of course, Outlook's ubiquity means that they do have the MAPI connector for that client.

On the other hand, they should be making every effort to support open protocols, like SyncML. Of course, today's up-and-coming "Solve all of our problems" new protocol is tomorrow's failed, obsolete protocol, so picking the right one can be difficult, especially considering that "standards" rarely are in practice (The various struggles with SIP are a good example.).

Personally, I see this as an opportunity for a third party to come up with a piece of software that interfaces between CGP and a client. I think that there are a number of companies/people (Niversoft/Nicolas comes to mind) who are able to turn a profit by providing add-ons to CGP that meet market needs ignored by CGS. This is just another case. Maybe we could pony up some $$$ as a bounty for a Thurderbird connector?

As always, we are in the position of liking CGS because they provide a rock-solid product, but wishing it offered a specific feature/client/whatever. This could be a good niche for a small company, and CGS would do well to encourage third-party solutions wherever possible. The best might even be acquired in the future to be incorporated into the main product.

Just some thoughts.