From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymesheating.com>
Subject: Re: External SIP providers
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:23:19 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Oct 24, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Karl wrote:

What is complicated here?  You will never, I repeat NEVER get way from having to configure routing rules in any telephone system and CGP is no different in this regard.

It can be simplified to this:

S:<(5-20d)@*> = *@telnum
S:telnum = pstn
S:*@pstn = gatewaycaller{*}#pbx

I suppose that, If you have to ask, you will never understand.

For carrier grade applications, I'm sure that this is run-of-the-mill, vanilla routing information. Heck, I can read theses rules and see what they are doing, more or less. However, for someone who wants to implement a small PBX with <100 users and pretty modest requirements, this is, shall we say, mostly impenetrable.

[snip]

You basically do not need to change these.  All you need to do is go into the PSTN preferences and enter the gateway information.  This is MUCH simpler with CGP than with most other solutions and, in reality, I do not see how this can be further simplified.

How can this be further simplified? A GUI! Sure, GUIs limit your flexibility, but they sure do aid in ease of use and avoidance of issues caused by Typos, etc. A GUI isn't right for everyone, but they sure are great solutions for many needs. Maybe you can take a look at FreePBX, a project I mentioned in my first post. www.freepbx.org . It is a GUI designed to run on top of (mostly) Asterisk. While it is not simple, it is reasonably easy to figure out and make work.

Especially considering the various major SNAFUs I have witnessed here on the list where people seriously mess up their e-mail traffic with a minor typo or omission in their router entries, I don't even want to BEGIN programming my PBX that way.

Long story short, I already have a license for CGP, and I seriously respect the solidity and quality of the software. I'd be completely willing to consider dumping my Asterisk server and running our PBX on CGP, but I can't even begin to think of it without some sort of a friendlier face than what I see here. (And this is coming from someone totally comfortable with creating Asterisk dialplans from scratch, if it were to come to that.)