From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymesheating.com>
Subject: Re: CGP SMTP Server frequently not available
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:16:09 -0400
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Nov 1, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Urs Grützner wrote:

One of our users in far east has no problems to get mail from our server
in Switzerland. However he is frequently encountering problems by
sending mails.

His mail client tries to connect but without success. The client is
waiting eternally for the handshake. Sending mails from his account at
Yahoo Mail works always.

Pinging the server from there shows large reaction times: min 450 ms,
max 2920 ms avg 1150
(from home:  min/avg/max/stddev = 28.260/67.784/209.318/48.814 ms)

Do I need to change some settings on the SMTP server? Which ones?

Does he send mail from Yahoo through the same client or through their web interface?

When he is having trouble sending mail through your server, what is the result if he tries to telnet to your server's address on port 25? Oftentimes when a network operator is hijacking port 25 I do this and find that the server greeting lets me know that I am not connecting to my server. AOL does this, and hotel Wi-Fi often does that, too.

The earlier question about whether this is China would be informative, because that would increase the likelihood that your user's network traffic is being manipulated.