From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymesheating.com>
Subject: Re: CGP SMTP Server frequently not available
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 08:48:27 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On Nov 2, 2008, at 3:17 AM, Urs Grützner wrote:

Thanks for the answers

He is not in China, but living "in the pampa" in Thailand, connecting
with a radio modem, I guess EDGE.

When sending from Yahoo, he uses webmail, according to the mail header.
When using our server, Thunderbird as Mail client.

Urs

Please have him connect to your SMTP server using telnet to port 25. You can then check the greeting given by the server that answers to determine if his ISP is intercepting all traffic on port 25 and sending it to their mail server instead of yours. As I mentioned before, many ISPs do this as a way to try and limit spam. For instance, if you connect via AOL dial-up and try to send mail on port 25, you end up connecting to the AOL SMTP server, not the one you specify in your client settings.

Here is the output when connecting to my mailserver from a MacOS terminal session:
<<BEGIN QUOTE>>
dualie:~ trymes$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 rymes.net ESMTP CommuniGate Pro 5.2.7 is glad to see you!

<<END QUOTE>>

Type "quit" at that prompt to disconnect.

If you get something like "220 thailandisp.com ESMTP", then his SMTP traffic is being redirected to another server by the ISP. You need to set an SMTP listener up on another port and have him specify that port number in his client setup. Come to think of it, I think that CGP comes configured out of the box to use 587 or some other port as an alternative to port 25. You may have to forward that port to your server if it is behind NAT.

Another example:

dualie:~ trymes$ telnet smtp.google.com 25
Trying 209.85.237.25...
Connected to smtp1.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.google.com ESMTP