From: Tom Rymes <trymes@rymesheating.com>
Subject: Re: SMTP Best practice
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:43:30 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

On Nov 7, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Christopher Bort wrote:

On 11/06/08 02:16, David.Brookfield@liquidthinking.co.uk (David Brookfield) wrote:

Not really a list question I know, but does anyone know of a good smtp
best practice or howto or some such on smtp sending. I'll explain, one
our clients is having a new website designed and emails from their
test site are being bounced by us for a whole load of reasons. Now I
know I can whitelist their ip's. However, I think it would be prudent
to let the design company know they really should understand what they
are doing, but I don't have the time to sit on a phone explaining to
them how and why they should send their email in the correct format.

Were I in your place, I think I'd be inclined to let their mail continue to bounce. When the web designer calls to 'get it fixed,' explain that the messages their site is generating are bouncing because they are broken and they need to fix the messages if they want them to be accepted by your server. If you firmly refuse to make accommodations for malformed messages, that should give them incentive to make them right. If they are a professional design firm, it should be their responsibility to learn how to do things properly. If they can't do that, they probably won't be in business for very long.

Except that they will tell your client that you are just being difficult because they never have this problem with any provider but you. You will end up looking like the incompetent one because clients like it when things just work, and often only think about security when it's too late.

Hence, stand you ground, but make sure you keep your client informed about what is going on, so they understand that you are bouncing messages for a good reason, not because your system is broken.