From: Wayne Gamble <rfecgate@rfe.net>
Subject: Re: Best Practices - Limiting mailbox size
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:08:06 -0600
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Storage is cheap, and we only have about 150 users, so we've been allowing unlimited storage for the past few years.  A good percentage of our users have 500MB to 1GB of mail.  Our largest currently has about 5GB.

Mailboxes are MDIR.  Since more users are moving toward simpler filing systems with a small number of folders, and are using search to find old messages, using MDIR avoids the 2GB MBOX limitation and speeds up incremental backups.

The use of Pronto! is growing (among our Windows users), as is mail.app as more of our managers choose Macs.   All of our very large accounts use mail.app or Thunderbird so we haven't had any real problems with Outlook/mapi.

 - Wayne