From: David Brookfield <david.brookfield@liquidthinking.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Windows Move Server1=>server2
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:31:32 +0000
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
We moved a server a while back, it was very simple; We installed the same version of CGP on the other machine and then copied all the files from the one machine to the over. If we assume default locations on the windows box then this was the process,
we installed the same version CGP to new machine, stopped the CGP service and then copied all files and folders from C:\CommuniGate Files [User files etc etc] and C:\WINDOWS\CommuniGatePro [CGP stuff] to the new server, stopped the old server and then restarted the CGP service after the fiels were copied and it was all running happily. Depending on how much data you have will depend on how long. it will take. If we assume you have no more than 120Gb (from your drive layout) then 2 -4 hours to copy from one place to another, of course all depending on how you intend on copying.. If you get something like Delta copy (Windows RSync) up and running first then it could be way quicker.

As to back up, what do you need? Can you loose any email? Or do you have to have something that allows no or little loss?  A DR I did a while back assumed 1/2 days loss of email. And was done using an Image of Machine and then just NT backup of the CGP folders.  to file at Midday and then another at 9pm. The backup files are copied at the end of the week and then end of month to create Grandfather, father, son. Backups are all done to file simply because it's fast and drives are cheap.

One question though, why is that you have gone for RAID 5? Given the cost of drives now, wouldn't 1 + 0 be better? Gives you redundancy and performance IMHO.

David

Vesse Michel wrote:
How can i move my CGP from server1:
Server OS:      Microsoft Windows 2003     Server Hardware:    x86 (32-bit)   Server Version:     5.2.9
MAPI Version:     1.52.5.2
2Mo Ram
3X 73Go raid5

to new server 2
Server OS:      Microsoft Windows 2003
4/8Mo Ram
3X 250Go raid5

all mailbox are in Multi-Mailbox
I run also : CGPCLAMAV - PolluStop - WINMAILDAT filter

i have make all parameters networks on the new server with all ip config and DNS

before moving, update on the last Server Version on server1 : CommuniGate Pro 5.2.10
http://lists.communigate.com/Lists/CGatePro/Message/96655.html

    I would like to know:
- What are the files that I must safeguard,
- In what order should I proceed
    I installed in CGP
C: \WINDOWS\CommuniGatePro\
D:\Files Communigate\
D:\CommuniGate Files\Accounts
D:\CommuniGate Files\BadFiles
D:\CommuniGate Files\Directory
D:\CommuniGate Files\Domains
D:\CommuniGate Files\Filters
D:\CommuniGate Files\Filters\cgpclamav
D:\CommuniGate Files\Filters\pollustop
D:\CommuniGate Files\Filters\winmaildat
D:\CommuniGate Files\Queue
D:\CommuniGate Files\Settings
D:\CommuniGate Files\Submitted
D:\CommuniGate Files\SystemLogs
D:\CommuniGate Files\SystemLogs\SysChanges
D:\CommuniGate Files\WebSkins

- What kind of safeguards do you need to save : 1 X DAY - 1X week - 1 X month

I noticed that when I miss a 2GB mailbox, there are problems.
I also installed on server1 Perl

there is many time that the server1 runs and works perfectly well and I do not remember how I have to install everything ...

Thank you for your help
michel

Votre Messagerie Collaborative
Accessible 24/24 via Internet , Outlook , Mobile
Email sécurisé Anti-Spam & Anti-Virus 24/24
Partage d'agenda, de Contacts ...
http://mail.liberty-one.com VOTRE SERVICE SAV_RECLAMATIONS_MEDIATION en ligne
Demander un essai GRATUIT
mailto:info@liberty-one.com