From: Christian Ellsworth <k@ellsworth.cl>
Subject: Re: Windows Move Server1=>server2
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 23:57:03 -0300
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Jeff Wark wrote:
That is all depending on how much you need to transfer and how long you can afford to be down.  But other than that, those steps do represent a way to do it.

Well if I had to move a CGP from one machine to the other, with next to 0 downtime... probably a migration should be used.

something like...

script: get all old_server cgp's settings, and set them on new_server

script: get all old_server_domains and each domain settings, and set them on new_server, after you can adjust some options if you like (this is an excellent time to correct details on the template, add additional folders not present today and/or to finally change the new default mailbox type).

script get all old_server users configuration (account info, account settings, account.*), set that configuration on the new_server (this step creates the users on the new server, using the last step information and new settings)

configuration: Hijack the old_server IP Address with the new server, if an email arrives will be received in the right account and won't be overwritten on the migration. (nearly instantaneous switch)

script: migrate each user all data to the new server. (MoveIMAP and a script to move the users files data)

Pros:    nearly no downtime... (less than a minute)
           works from any to any; OS and platform servers - very useful for windows to *nix and vise versa
           allows some corrections to the accounts, and templates
           can change Mailbox types, and historical settings.

Cons:   takes longer than just copy (if copy is possible)
           blind copies whatever is on the old server to the new one...
           the migration process is more advanced (needs more skills)

my 0.02$

Christian