From: Urban Loesch <bind@enas.net>
Subject: Mailloop with option: Redirect All Mail to:
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:07:24 +0100
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hi,

we are using CGPro version 5.0.14 since years and it works very good.

Today I noticed some strange behaviour regarding the option
"Redirect All Mail to:" some other mailaddress.

The question today I have was: what will be happen if I redirect all incoming mails of an account let's say user@domain.com to the same account user@domain.com.

I made 2 short tests:

Test 1:
- activate the option "Redirect All Mail to:"
- redirect to: same adress user@domain.com
- flag "Keep a Copy:" set
- flag "Do not Redirect Automatic Messages": set
- flag "Preserve To/Cc fields": not set

result of the test: email comes in and will be redirected 1 time.
In the INBOX I see the same email 2 times.

Test 2:
- activate the option "Redirect All Mail to:"
- redirect to: same adress user@domain.com
- flag "Keep a Copy:" set
- flag "Do not Redirect Automatic Messages": NOT set
- flag "Preserve To/Cc fields": not set

result of the test: email comes in and will be redirected 1 time.
The redirected mail will be redirected to the same account 1 time.
The new redirected mail will be redirected again, and again, and again.
In the INBOX I see the same email many times until I deactivate the "redirect all mail to" option.

Conclusion: if the flag "Do not Redirect Automatic Messages" is NOT set and some stupid user will redirect all his mail to the same account the mail server will produce a loop like behaviour.

This is very, very bad and could be a big problem.

Have anyone of you found this problem, too?
And have someone a solution for it?

Thanks and regards
Urban Loesch