From: Jeff Wark <jwark@tbaytel.net>
Subject: You must authenticate first.
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:24:18 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Problem:

Customer is getting notices that he is exceeding the message sending limit [he is no where close to getting 300 messages out in 1 minute].  So, I told him that since he is on a client IP address, he could stop the SMTP_Auth until we figure it out.  He stopped, but now he is getting another message:

11:53:08.89 4 SMTPI-41629([216.211.112.158]) cmd: MAIL FROM: <user@example.com>
11:53:08.89 1 SMTPI-41629([216.211.112.158]) Return-Path 'user@example.com' rejected: You must authenticate first

Obviously, user@example.com is not his address, but 216.211.112.158 is in our client list.  And the test produces this result:
Test Address:          [216.211.112.158] is Trusted

However, the Return-Path is for a domain that does not exist on our server.  I must have changed something to check the return-paths at some point but I can't remember/find it now.  What setting would make it so a customer couldn't relay mail through our server with a return-path not on our server?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Wark
TBayTel Internet