From: Wayne <wayne@hamilton.net>
Subject: Freebsd high system loads
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 07:06:55 -0800
To: <CGatePro>
I am running 5.2.9 on 64 bit FreeBSD 6.4 stable. I have 8 gig of ram on dual
quad core CPUs. My system runs 93 to 96 % idle most of the day. I use
cgpclamav to scan my emails. Every thing works great until about 9:00 am to
1:00 pm. Then for anywhere from 3 to 5 minute intervals everything grinds to
a crawl. Top shows me 30-40% system load and I have process waiting. No
single process seems has a high CPU load even running top with -S doesn't
give me a clue.

I have change my kernel to polling and tweaked about every system setting. I
am running a 3ware controller using raid 10 with 15,000 rpm drives. I
believe this is an I/0 issue I'm just not sure.

Has anyone ever tried to setup RAM disk for scanning and processing the
local delivery queue. If so what directory do I use? I don't want to setup
the whole /var/CommuniGate/Queue directory because you never know how large
it will grow.

Also I do have the  Enqueue Asynchronously unchecked in order to avoid back
scatter because I am using an external spam filter. I haven't tried checking
it. Not sure if it would help or not.

Thanks
Wayne