From: Uwe Baemayr <cgate@baemayr.com>
Subject: Re: Verizon port 25 block!
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:40:31 -0500
To: communiGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
On 30 Sep 2009 at 10:21, Fred Zwarts wrote:

> > Hopefully, adding an SMTP TCP listener om 8080 is equivalent.  I'll
> > hopefully know tomorrow when she gives it another shot.
>
> Maybe this is equivalent. We had to use the trick with iptables,
> because we cannot require authentication on port 25, where all
> external mail to our user's mailboxes are delivered.
> CommuniGate had no option to specify per port whether or
> not authentication should be forced. If authentication is forced,
> it is forced on all SMTP ports. If it is not, then only port 587
> requires authentication. By using the trick with iptables, we force
> authentication on port 8080, but we leave port 25 without authentication
> forced..
> If you can afford to force authentication on all SMTP ports, including 25,
> then adding a listener on port 8080 is equivalent.

We do force all client senders to authenticate, even on port 25.  So that's
not a problem for us. And we don't relay for non-clients.

Unfortunately, none of the high ports (2525, 8025, 8080) worked -- all
blocked by Verizon.  However, we did find out that the incremental cost of a
static IP, which Verizon claims will work, is only $4/month for each of the
two locations.  So that's the route we're going to take, since nothing else
seems to work.

Thanks for all your advice.

--- Uwe