From: Valsania Andrea <andreav@valsania.it>
Subject: Re: Further Pronto! comments
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:07:08 +0100
To: <cgatepro@mail.stalker.com>
Oh my... ! Perhaps my bad English gave the impression that I have been quite impolite in my previous post, whereas I only wished to describe from the highest as possible point of view the current misperceptions about CommuniGate's value.  Sorry for that: in fact I have planned the meeting with your representative in order to definitely clarify my observations. But let me go a bit more deeply into the matters here...

> To: CGatePro@mail.stalker.com
> From: jdoyle@communigate.com
> Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:52:10 -0800
> Subject: Further Pronto! comments
>
> Hello;
>
>>- integration with corporate directory and authentication services;
>
> We do have integration for external directories, and our authentication support is pretty strong. What specifically are you pointing out?

I'm pointing out the fact that all the people I known working with CGP and me are still unable to make Kerberos authentication function with Mac OS X native applications (Mail.app, iCal, iChat, ...), neither to have users authenticated against a corporate LDAP directory (personally, I tried with both Microsoft's and Apple's ones) for all the services offered by CGP (please try to authenticate Pronto! over HTTPS with the external authentication helper script provided on your website).
These two example issues alone make CommuniGate an unsuitable product in enterprise environments.

>>- interoperability with other standards-compliant Jabber servers;
>
> We do support XMPP external servers, I have more than a dozen people in my buddy list that are on gtalk, and Exchange now supports XMPP too, with some added server.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2009/oct09/10-01ucinterop.mspx
>
> Lotus has support for XMPP too
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Lotus_Sametime_Gateway

I have a few contacts from third-party Jabber servers in my contact list too, but it does not mean that all enterprise IM requirements are met by the current version of CommuniGate. For example, server-to-server communication encryption is not supported yet by CGP, neither the contact blocking feature.Since I came from a pretty strong knowledge of Microsoft technologies (MCSA, MCSE, MCT... I have been working with Microsoft Consulting Services and PSS in a very close way during the past years, and I even happened to be the man who has bring LCS - the OCS's daddy - to Italian Microsoft partners), I have a pretty good point of view on the history and the capabilities of Exchange and OCS products.  It's mainly because of this fact that I'm spending a lot of my time trying to improve what I think is the UC software solution with the strongest and most promising architecture out there!

>>- integration with VoIP devices and services by the most popular players (Cisco SMB product lines, VoIP-to-PSTN services, etc.);
>
> We do support many PSTN GW devices, like Patton, like Cisco, we use one ourselves :~) We also recommend SIP trunk services from companies like MegaPath and VoicePulse.

I was told that I'm the only guy in my country to make a customer calling and receiving calls from PSTN numbers  by using the SIP gateway feature (about whose I read a bit frightening line in the 5.3c3 release notes "...The SIP Gateways manager is depricated and it is prepared for removal." ). In fact I worked hard and closely with your Italian reseller's employees (very good professionals) to solve a lot of issues, and a few of them are still opened, waiting Stalker's support to suggest out a solution...

>>- consideration of user-friendliness (which means support for native client applications and essentials interface components to>accomplish day-to-day tasks).
>
> Did not get the idea here, maybe the name of such application would help me "get it".

Not to be pedantic, let me give only one little example among alls. A lot of UC solutions out there offer a simple yet very useful dialer application, which integrates pretty well with Mac or Windows interface to make a user free from the "read-and-dial-and-mistype-and-redial" process for any phone number he can view on his/her screen.

>>These plans are great, and your developers really did and are still doing a good work, but let me point out a couple of issues to>show what I mean in my previous sentences: the Pronto! interface running into Leopard's Safari web browser disconnects very often>from the server when the window is minimized.
>
> Humm, I use Safari myself and pronto! is running sometimes for days on my iMac, and my Macbook too. I uses spaces, and use it like my Skype client, better than skype client :~)

Did you ever tried to minimize the window containing Pronto!, as a lot of my customers seem to like very much to do? :)

>>Furthermore, HTML message view is available only if you disable the popup->blocker. No problem with Firefox and Google>Chrome... only with Apple's native browser application.
>
> Did you report that? You can use the feedback button in Pronto!

Thank you for the great suggestion... I had not even thought of! ;)

Joking aside, I'm actually hoping that most of the issues I'm experiencing come from my poor knowledge of your solution, or little lacks in CGP documentation.
I'm a great (likely the greatest) fan of your product, and I'm really committed to help you improve it as much as possible because I really need it and with me a lot of enterprise customers, who are left alone in the cold by the unmanageable complexity of the architecture of other vendor's solutions.

Sincerely.

Andrew Valsania
MCSA, MCSE, MCT