From: Bret Miller <bret.miller@gci.org>
Subject: Re: Windows x86_64 version
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 07:23:43 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
It's a clarity point. There are two 64-bit technologies-- IA64 which really never took off and mostly got used in high end servers, and AMD64 which did. Microsoft labels there stuff x64 and IA64 because although the original technology was AMD64, Intel also makes chips with that architecture. I'm not sure why Communigate has chosen to name theirs AMD64. Virtually no one else I can think of does that. Most simply say x64 or 64-bit. Strictly speaking, AMD64 is more accurate.

Bret